As of December 2021, the construction project of the new Phnom Penh Airport, which has just received the new name as “Techo International Airport, Takhmao City” has reached 27% completion, on track to start operation by 2023.
This is according to the site inspection by Cambodia Prime Minister Samdech Hun Sen on 9 December.
On this occasion, Cambodia Airport Investment Co., Ltd (CIAC) and OCIC, the investment companies on this project, summarized the results of the main sections of the project as follows:
1) Construction of passenger terminal with an area of over 240,000 sqm is 29% complete, scheduled for final completion in 2023
2) Power supply centre is 55% complete, scheduled for final completion by the end of 2022
3) The 189-hectare airport apron is 21% complete. The pavement work on the runway is scheduled to start in January 2021 and be completed in 2023.
4) 118m Air Traffic Control Tower constructed by Canasino 40% complete and will be handed over to Cambodia Air Traffic Service in July 2022 to install the equipment.
5) The new road project connecting the airport to 60m Road constructed by CHIC, which includes 11.7km road and 2 concrete bridges across Stung Prek Tnaot, is 24% and scheduled to be completed in 2021.
6) The canal dredging work around the airport with a length of 20 km is 40% complete and scheduled to be completed in 2022.
7) Construction of 19 other essential buildings including VIP passenger terminal, wastewater station, solid waste station, vehicle repair station, fuel storage station, storage station, fire projection station, power substation, etc. is in the piling stage. To date, the work is 40% completed and scheduled to be completed in 2023.
8) Boeung Cheung Lok dredging work has achieved 18 hectares by deepening the lake from 5 to 22 metres. The firm will dredge another 100 hectares in 2022.
Chairman of OCIC Neak Oknha Pung Kheav Se said that the COVID-19 pandemic and flooding during the rainy season had caused some disruption to the construction, but the firm has overcome the obstacles and ensured that the project is going as planned.
To date, the company has invested a total of US$375 million in the project, with the plan to add another US$447 million in 2022. The total investment value of the entire project is US$1.5 billion, excluding land price.
The project employs a total of 3,740 people, 3,125 locals and 615 foreign workers. With this project, the company is also training thousands of human resources in various fields related to the construction sector, who will become high-quality human resources in the future.
In order to seek additional capital, Cambodia Airport Investment Co., Ltd (CAIC) and OCIC has also guaranteed bonds with a total value of US$ 00 million. Thus far, over US$87 million have been sold to banks, insurance companies, government institutions.